The Bible encourages us in Hebrews 13:16 (NIV) saying, And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. Are you looking for a way to help others and change lives for the good? Perhaps you are prayerfully considering God’s will for your life and are asking, “Can I really make a difference?”
The answer is a resounding yes! The Salvation Army has many opportunities for you to follow Christ and share about the good news of salvation, bringing hope and light to a hurting world.
Across the United States and around the world, thousands of individuals just like you have found their place in ministry as officers in The Salvation Army. Men and women sold out to Christ, mission-minded and action-oriented, can find amazing fulfillment in full-time ministry as officers. The need for effective servant-leaders is greater than ever. The opportunities for service as an officer are endless.
Salvation Army officership encompasses a myriad of opportunities:
- Helping someone find a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Providing meals for someone in need
- Giving comfort to someone after a natural disaster
- Teaching a child to read
- Helping a teen or young adult discover God’s plan for their life
- Leading worship
- Teaching a Sunday school class
- Helping people discover more about God
- Giving love unconditionally
- Participating in community projects that provide a better life for many
- Providing joy for children and adults at Christmastime
- Leading a community-based and respected ministry organization
- Chatting with a shut-in
- Visiting those in prison
- Pointing someone to help for their addictive behaviors
- Ministering to people of other cultures
- Serving God in a foreign land
- Helping to change lives
- Being the hands and feet of Jesus Christ in a hurting world
Just as Jesus called his disciples to follow Him, today He calls Christian men and women to this same adventure. Salvation Army officers see lives changed, bring hope and practical help to humanity as they share the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ. Their work will often be among the poorest and neediest of our society. All of them will make a difference: some as corps officers and others as administrators of Salvation Army rehabilitation centers for those recovering from addiction. Still other officers may work in Salvation Army social service centers, while some work with other cultures and in other countries. Each officer carries the message of love. Each officer is the voice of God in the place where he or she is needed. A Salvation Army officer is a fully ordained and trained evangelical minister of the gospel. If God is calling you to a ministry of spiritual leadership and you have a passion for lost people, then Salvation Army officership may be for you.